Friday, February 7, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness

Working as a Cashier I'm in a good position to see Random Acts of Kindness... Some are more pronounced and some are so small you could miss them if you blinked.

Some of the small things are people who leave their pennies or small change for us cashiers to use for someone who needs it. Sometimes people who have big baskets of stuff will wave someone with 1 or 2 items to go in front of them.

I was cashiering and the lady I was checking out mentioned to me that she wasn't use to having to get her bags off the turnstile. The guy who was waiting behind her came around and started putting her bags of groceries into to her basket for her.

A young guy was like 15 or 16 cents short so he was going to put something back. The guy behind him pulled a quarter out of his pocket and gave it to him so he didn't have to put something back.

The one that really got me was when I had a couple who were checking out. For some reason their card wasn't working. They were in process of calling the bank to figure out what was going on. A young couple behind them asked me how much their purchases were... which it was plainly seen so I went ahead and told him it was like $30 or $40. He told me he'd pay for their purchases... he pulled out his card and ran it. Then paid cash for his own purchases. I was like wow... not many people will pick up someones tab that is that much.

And it's so cute how excited kids are to be able to pay for their stuff on their own. Granted Mommie or Daddy might have given them the money but they get to put it on the belt separately. It makes them feel grown up some.

I celebrate in my head when I'm able to help someone that some people just aren't very patient with. It could be why some people come back thru my line. I do have some of a following. I'm fast, patient and helpful. I can sometimes be entertaining.  :)    I get a lot of families who have deaf members, children with Autism or otherwise unique peoples. I just wish I was more confident with sign language but it's been years since I took my class at the local community college in North Carolina. I remember some of my signs but am not confident I'll understand their signs. Finger-spelling would take too long.

6 comments:

ADB said...

Good to see you posting, Cece, hope all is well with you.

Guido (formerly pharmolo)

Jeanie said...

Those were lovely little stories about your day to day life 's observations Cece. I enjoyed them.

Unknown said...

I think you observe so many random acts of kindness because you are a kind person yourself :) It made me feel good to read such a positive post, thank you!

Anonymous said...

Ah, Cece, just use the 'thank you' sign when they pay, and your customers who are deaf will appreciate your efforts.

Nice post.

The Family Detective said...

that is one sign I do use a lot. :)

Sugar said...

just stopped by to say hello, hope all is well.